About School of law, The NorthCap University:
The NorthCap University is a 25-year-old educational institution committed to impart quality education to the youth of this country in the field of Engineering, Management, Law and Liberal Arts. The University is known for its academic ambiance, lush green surroundings, state-of-the-art infrastructure, cleanliness, outreach programs, international tie-ups and a vibrant academic culture. We believe in Education, enlightenment employment leading towards the empowerment of an individual. It has been consistently ranked as one of the top private universities by various government and private agencies.
The NorthCap University nurtures young minds, inculcates the right values and morals in our new generation and produces talented engineers, technologists, thought leaders, visionaries, lawyers who become responsible citizens for this country.
The university is committed to its goal towards following environment friendly practices such as grid-fed solar power installations, rain water harvesting, garbage segregation, plastic free and a zero-discharge campus. The University has set up a Social Entrepreneurship, Swachhta & Rural Engagement Cell (SES REC) and has successfully improved facilities in the campus and the adopted villages in the areas of sanitation and hygiene, waste management, water management, energy conservation and greening of surroundings.
Over a period of time the NorthCap has received many awards and recognition for environment friendly practices which has further reinforced our resolve to reduce the carbon footprint of our country and make this planet a greener and better place to live.
While celebrating 25 years of excellence, The NorthCap University has embarked on a new journey after its agreement with Arizona State University, USA to impart world class education with digitally enhanced courses, global signature courses, collaborative research and accelerated masters’ programs.
The University is adapting to the innovative learning models and new teaching pedagogies to prepare global citizens sensitive to their local surroundings. We have witnessed a glorious past and we are geared up to scale new heights and achieve new landmarks in future as well.
About the competition:
The vision of School of Law is to be ranked amongst the best law schools of India and the most preferred private university destination for law aspirants. School of Law at The NorthCap University provides the highest quality of professional legal education to equip the students for
transnational practice and to face the challenges posed by the internationalization of the legal profession. The school has continually strived to achieve excellence in legal education through interactive teaching-learning process, clinical opportunities, exposures to the legal profession through internships and externships, industry ready curricula and innumerable opportunities to interact with the stalwarts in the legal profession.
This 7th Edition of Competition is being organized under aegis of The NorthCap University, School of Law. The stage is set for the 7th Edition of The National Client Consultation Competition that is going to be organized by The NorthCap University on 29th – 30th October 2021. Last date of registration is 12th October 2021.
The Competition is aimed at promoting greater knowledge and practical skills among student advocates in the preventive law and counselling functions of law practice. It will encourage students in developing interviewing, planning, and analytical skills in the lawyer-client relationship in the law office. Interviewing and advising are a significant part of most lawyers’ work. The Competition provides an opportunity for a valuable educational interchange between students, law teachers and legal practitioners. The Competition simulates a law office consultation in which two law students, acting as lawyers (attorneys/solicitors/legal practitioners), are presented with a client matter. The students conduct an interview with a person playing the role of the client. Students are expected to elicit the relevant information from the client, explore with the client his or her preferred outcome, outline the nature of the problem, and present the client with a means (or range of alternatives, if appropriate) for resolving the problem. The interview with the client is then followed by a post- consultation period during which the students, in the absence of the client, analyse the interview and discuss the legal and other work to be undertaken. The interview and post consultation period last a total of 30 minutes. The students are evaluated by a panel of judges. The students are evaluated against specific criteria that emphasize the use of listening, questioning, planning, and analytical skills in a lawyer/client interview. Once the judges have completed their evaluation of the interview, the students are to be called back in and the
judges will provide a brief critique of the team’s handling of the consultation and post-consultation periods
About the previous Editions:
With the success of the 1st NCU National Client Consultation Competition, it climbed another ladder by organizing the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th edition of its National Client Consultation Competition. Each year the National Client Consultation Competition is being organized under the aegis of School of Law, The NorthCap University. The Competition is aimed at promoting greater knowledge and practical skills among student advocates in the preventive law and counselling functions of law practice. It will encourage students in developing interviewing, planning, and analytical skills in the lawyer-client relationship in the law office. Interviewing and advising are a significant part of most lawyers’ work. The Competition provides an opportunity for a valuable educational interchange between students, law faculty and legal practitioners. The Competition simulates a law office consultation in which two law students, acting as lawyers (attorneys/solicitors/legal practitioners), are presented with a client matter. The students conduct an interview with a person playing the role of the client. School of Law, The NorthCap University, Gurugram hitherto has organized six successful editions of the Competition.
The 6th Edition of National Client Consultation Competition, 2020 was the latest in the series of the annual event. Hon’ble Justice Darshan Singh, Retd. Judge, Punjab and Haryana High Court, and Chairperson, Haryana Real Estate Appellate Tribunal was our Chief Guest of the programme. 25 teams from all over the Country came down to participate in the event. After the preliminary round 12 teams made to Quarter-Finals, and 4 teams made it to the semi-finals from which ultimately 2 teams reached the final round. The 2 semi-finalists were from Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad and Law Centre-II, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi. The Final round Judges were Advocate Manish Manocha and Advocate Reema Bhandari, Supreme Court of India.
Composition of teams:
- Only bonafide students pursuing LL.B. Three Year/Five Year Degree programmes in aforementioned institutions, during the current academic year are eligible to participate.
- There can be a maximum 3 Teams from one university/college.
- Each team shall consist of only TWO participants.
- Registration is on a first come first serve basis and it’s open to first 30 teams.
- Teams/Participants are required to duly fill the Registration Google Form (link given above) along with the Registration Fees of Rs.1500/- via online payment on or before the last date of registration i.e,12th October 2021.
The NEFT transaction detail are as follows:
- Name of the Institution: The NorthCap University
- Name of the Bank: Canara Bank
- Branch: NCU, Sector 23-A, Gurgaon
- Account No.: 82472010013980
- IFSC: CNRB018247
- Winner – Cash Prize up to Rs 5,000 and Certificates
- Runner up – Cash Prize up to Rs. 2,000 and Certificates.
- Participants – Participation Certificates.
- Two (2) half yearly complimentary subscription to SCC Online worth Rs. 14,500 each. Total value of Rs. 43,500 for the runners up.
- Two (2) one-year complimentary subscription to SCC Online Web Edition to be distributed to the winning team worth Rs. 24,000 each. Total value of Rs. 72,000 for the winners
- The inaugural will be held on 29th October, 2021.
- Mode of Inaugural will be Microsoft Teams.
- Participants will be briefed about the details of the event, wherein they are welcome to seek clarifications.
Code of Conduct:
- The competition will be conducted on the online platform of Microsoft Teams.
- All the participants must be dressed in a dignified manner befitting the legal profession for the competition.
- Friendly and healthy interaction among the participating teams and with the students of the host college are encouraged and expected.
- Use of Mobile phones is strictly prohibited during the competition.
- Participants shall not reveal the identity of his/her college/university at any point of time during the competition.
- Participants shall not interact with the clients before the allotted time.
- The organizers at any point of time will not be responsible for any internet network/ connectivity issues during the competition.
- Scouting or any other unethical/unprofessional conduct is strictly prohibited, and may lead to disqualification.
Rules and Regulations:
- This event will be conducted in four Rounds namely, Preliminary Round, Quarter Finals, Semi Final Round and Final Round.
- Preliminary Round will be conducted in two slots; each team will get only one chance to appear in the round.
- Top 25 teams will go to quarter finals; top 4 teams will go to the semi-final round and top 2 teams will go to Finals.
- In case of a tie for the 4th place, all the tied teams will be eligible to go to semi-finals.
- Top two teams from the semi-final rounds will go to the final round on the basis of team scores.
- The problems for the competition will be set from the area of Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Civil Law, Corporate Law, Family Law and Contemporary Issues of Law.
- The organizers will select the clients to play the role as required by the problems.
- The teams will have a maximum of 30 minutes of which first 5 minutes will be allotted for settling the rooms for the clients, Teams can make use of all kinds of material befitting the legal profession for the competition while doing the same. 15 minutes will be for client interviewing and counselling. The remaining 10 minutes shall be for discussion between the participants and the judge.
- During the post interview period of 10 minutes when the client will not be there, the students will have to summarize the interview, analyse the problem and indicate the course of action to be undertaken to the judge.
- During this time the judges may also seek clarifications from the teams regarding their approach and analysis of the issues.
- During this period of 25 minutes, if necessary, the competing students can consult any books or laptop, which they may bring with them.
- Teams shall not exceed the allotted time but Judges can extend the same for another 2 minutes only after which there will be an automatic negative marking and 1 mark will be deducted for each extra minute.
- In the interviewing and Counselling stage as well as post interviewing and counselling stage, one member of the team will take the lead role and the other a supplementary role.
- There should be good coordination between the two team members throughout the 30 minutes period.
The competition shall be judged on the basis of the following criteria:
- Establishing the working atmosphere and professional approach.
- Eliciting the problem of the client and the tools used in so doing.
- Clients’ goals, expectations and needs.
- Analysis and formulation of the problem with precision.
- Suggesting alternatives.
- Allowing the client to make informed choices.
- Effective conclusion of the counselling session.
- Team work.
- Management of ethical and professional relation with the client – dealing with emotional and legal needs of the client.
Post interview session interaction with the judges/among themselves.
Student Communication Head –
Aarushi Yadav Madhav Chauhan
Mobile: 8448427225 Mobile: 9650556879
Email ID- firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Pallavi Bajpai Ms. Deborisha Dutta Mr. Himangshu Rathee
Asst Professor (senior) Asst. Professor Asst professor
Email ID- Email ID- Email ID-
|Last date of Registration||12th October 2021|
|Communication of Confirmation||24th October 2021|
|Last Date for receiving questions seeking clarifications||26th October 2021|
|Release of Clarifications if any||27th October 2021|
|Inaugural Ceremony||29th October 2021|
|Preliminary and Quarter Finals||29th October 2021|
|Semi Finals and Finals Rounds||30th October 2021|
|Valedictory Ceremony||30th October 2021|