NLU Jodhpur is organizing a National Seminar on ‘Assessing India’s Performance as a Parliamentary Democracy’, scheduled to be held on January 8 and 9, 2022, online. Eligible candidates are requested to submit their abstracts by November 30, 2021.
About NLU Jodhpur:
National Law University-Jodhpur (NLUJ) is one of India’s leading Law Schools situated at the vibrant and colourful city of Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Since its establishment in 1999, NLUJ has endeavoured to produce exceptional lawyers and legal scholars aimed at pushing and challenging the existing boundaries of knowledge.
About the Seminar:
As reflected in the Preamble to the Indian Constitution, one of the foremost objectives enshrined in the Indian Constitution is to secure political justice. Constitutionalism in India has been shaped by the Country’s utmost faith in the democratic ideals coupled with the endeavours towards securing them. The Constitution has effectively withstood several challenges ever since its formation without budging an inch from its goal i.e. attainment of the entrenched democracy. Nonetheless, seventy years later, the performance of Parliamentary democracy in India calls for a serious review.
Today, there exists a wide scope of issues and questions that necessitate extensive research and deliberation. The diversity of scholarly interest in Constitutional Law and Political Justice also reflects the interdisciplinary conversation that the field invites. A sincere and dedicated engagement on our part can go a long way in building for ourselves a secured future that would nurture a culture of democracy and efficient governance.
The National Law University, Jodhpur is organizing a National Seminar on ‘Assessing India’s Performance as a Parliamentary Democracy’. The Seminar shall be held over a period of two days where esteemed speakers from across the world shall be discussing and deliberating on the key issues pertaining to parliamentary democracy in India. The event shall be organized on Cisco Webex Platform (ONLINE).
Structure and Stages of the Event:
The seminar shall be conducted ONLINE (Cisco Webex) over a period of two days:
Day 1: the seminar shall begin with an inaugural session followed by paper presentations in parallel sessions. Every session shall be chaired by eminent panellists. Links will be shared in advance.
Day 2: the seminar shall begin with paper presentations in parallel sessions in the first half followed by a closing session where eminent speakers shall put forth their views and deliberate on important areas of parliamentary democracy.
The following are the exhaustive list of proposed themes for abstract submission, which shall become the basis of the paper presentations:
- Parliamentary Procedures
a. Role of Speaker;
c. Motions & Procedures;
d. Opposition Rights; and
e. Public Participation in Law-Making.
- Judicial Intervention
a. Role in upholding parliamentary practices;
b. Revisiting the Collegium System; and
c. Listing of cases vis-à-vis politically sensitive matters.
- Parliamentary Representation:
a. Minority Representation;
b. Gender Representation; and
c. Regional Representation.
- Electoral Reforms
a. Appointment of the Election Commissioner of India;
b. Inner-party democracy;
c. Model Code of Conduct and selective application; and
d. Electoral Bonds.
The list is exhaustive and must be strictly adhered to while submitting abstracts.
- The abstract shall be within 300-350 words. At least 5 keywords must be highlighted.
- The abstract shall contain the names, email addresses and designations of the authors. Formatting guidelines: font: Times new Roman; font size: 12; justified: line space-1.5.
- Click on the link given at the end of this post, to upload abstract.
- For further queries, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the purpose of convenience, kindly ensure that the abstract reflects the core argument of the author and is complete in all respects.
The Seminar shall be open only for Academicians, Advocates, Researchers and Ph.D. Candidates.
Registration Fee :
Payment of registration fees shall start once the abstracts have been accepted.
- Academicians, Advocates and Researchers: Rs.1100
- Ph.D. Scholars: Rs.600
- Co-authors shall register separately.
- Selected papers exhibiting exceptional research work may be published in a journal/edited book published by the University.
- Deadline for abstract submissions: November 30, 2021
- Announcement of accepted abstracts: December 4, 2021
- Deadline for payment of registration fees: December 20, 2021
- Deadline for manuscripts submission: January 3, 2022
- Seminar & Paper Presentation: January 8 & 9, 2022
For any query feel free to mail at: email@example.com
In case of urgent communication, participants may contact:
National Law University Jodhpur
Contact Number: +91 8902297150
- Prakhar Raghuvanshi: +91 8299746117
- Rajesh Ranjan: +91 8340399090
Link to access the seminar brochure: https://bit.ly/3HrW70J