ABOUT PANJAB UNIVERSITY, CHANDIGARH
One of the oldest universities in India, Panjab University (PU) established in Lahore in 1882, has a long tradition of pursuing excellence in teaching and research in science and technology, humanities, social sciences, performing arts, and sports. The glorious traditions of the University established during more than 138 years of its service to the nation are a source of inspiration for the present generation of faculty members and students. Panjab University has ranked 2nd in the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) amongst Indian Universities declared by Ministry of Education, Govt. of India in 2020. It has ranked 4th amongst Indian institutes/ universities by International Ranking Agency, the Times Higher Education (WUR) in 2019- 2020. It has won the prestigious Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy for best all-round performance in sports among Indian Universities for continuous two years in succession 2018-19 and 2019-2020. University campus is spread over an area of 550 acres (2.2 km2) in sectors 14 and 25 of the city of Chandigarh. University has 78 teaching and research departments and 15 Centres/Chairs for teaching and research at the main campus located at Chandigarh.
ABOUT UNIVERSITY INSTITUTE OF LEGAL STUDIES
University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS) was established as the constituent department of Panjab University, in the academic session 2004-05. During a short period, it has emerged as one of the premier legal Institutes in the country with a unique blend of tradition and modernity. Students are trained in the essence of the substantive laws, techniques of procedural laws, methods of client counselling, and skills in legal and social sciences research, etc. The Moot Court Competitions, Client Counselling Sessions, Quiz Contests, Seminars, Group Discussions, and Extension Lectures, etc. are a regular feature of the academic calendar of the Institute. The Institute’s Legal Aid Clinic, which provides free legal services to the economically weaker sections of the society as a part of the community outreach program of the Institute, also offers opportunities to the students to work in coordination with practicing lawyers.
ABOUT SOCIETY FOR QUIZ
The Society for Quiz is a constituent society of the University Institute of Legal Studies, Panjab University, Chandigarh. The Society owes its existence to the vital role played by the quizzes in the learning process. Considering how promising the quizzes are in terms of expanding the horizons of one’s knowledge and improving the efficiency of mind, the Society is completely devoted to organizing various types of quizzes throughout the year, both online and offline. Also, to keep the spirit of competition alive, the Society aims not to limit itself to its home institution but also to reach out to the students throughout the nation. Furthermore, believing in the potential of a quiz as an activity to raise general awareness, the Society is also unrestricted in its choice of topics for the quizzes and is not limited merely to the topics of the law.
ABOUT REPUBLIC DAY OF INDIA
A nation’s culture resides in the hearts and the soul of its people.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
The Constitution was adopted by the Indian Constituent Assembly on 26 November 1949 and came into effect on 26 January 1950 with a democratic government system, completing the country’s transition towards becoming an independent republic. 26 January was chosen as the date for Republic day because it was on this day in 1929 when the Declaration of Indian Independence (Purna Swaraj) was proclaimed by the Indian National Congress as opposed to the Dominion status offered by the British Regime.
On 29 August 1947, a resolution was moved for the appointment of Drafting Committee, which was appointed to draft a permanent constitution, with Dr. B.R. Ambedkar as chairman. A draft constitution was prepared by the committee and submitted to the Constituent Assembly on 4 November 1947. The Assembly met, in sessions open to the public, for 166 days, spread over two years, 11 months, and 18 days before adopting the Constitution. After many deliberations and some modifications, the 308 members of the Assembly signed two hand-written copies of the document (one each in Hindi and English) on 24 January 1950. Two days later which was on 26 January 1950, it came into effect throughout the whole nation.
UILS this year is celebrating the 73rd Republic Day of India by organizing an article writing competition. Come and participate in the competition.
Best of Luck!!
NATIONAL ONLINE ARTICLE WRITING COMPETITION
· The competition is open to all the students pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s/PG degree or Certificate course from any affiliated University/College/Institute.
· The competition is also open to the school students (8-12 classes).
· No restriction on the number of entries from one University/College/Institute.
· The submission shall be done via G-Form link :
· An ID Proof (Aadhar Card, License, Voter Card, University/School Card, etc.) should be attached in the G- Form.
· There is No Registration Fee for the Competition.
· Last Date of Submission: 30th January, 2022, 23:59 p.m. (Indian Standard Time, GMT +5:30).
*Note: The results will be announced via e-mail by mid-March 2022. (Tentatively)
· Constitution as a Living Document
· Constitutional Morality- An Important Concept or Just a New Buzzword?
· Transformative Constitutionalism and Role of Judiciary
· Constitutional Role of Citizens in Upholding Sovereignty, Integrity and Unity of India
· The article must be written in English and submitted in Microsoft Word document format (.doc/.docx).
· Co-authorship up to a maximum of two authors is permitted.
· Only one submission is allowed per author/team. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
· The following formatting specifications need to be strictly adhered to:
i) Main Body: Font – Times New Roman, Font Size – 12, and Line Spacing – 1.5;
ii) Footnotes: Font – Times New Roman, Font Size – 10, and Line Spacing – 1.0 and footnotes must follow the Bluebook system of citation (Harvard, 20th edition).
iii) Margins should be 1 inch or 2.54 cm on all sides.
· The word limit is 1500- 2000 words excluding footnotes.
· The article must contain an abstract, not exceeding 250 words (which would not be counted in the word limit for the article). It must indicate the theme/topic.
· All submissions shall be submitted via Google form at:
by 30th January 2022, 23:59 p.m. (Indian Standard Time, GMT +5:30).
· The article must be accompanied by a cover letter containing the following information about the participant:
i) full name of the participant;
ii) theme/topic chosen;
iii) participant’s current year of study and name of the degree pursued;
iv) name and full address of the participant’s university;
v) name and full postal address of the participant;
vi) phone number of the participant and email ID of the participant.
· A Similarity Index report shall be attached in the G- Form showing similarity not more than 15%.
(Note– Participants are required to generate a Similarity Index Report using any free or paid online Similarity Index Software, e.g., https://app.grammarly.com/, https://www.duplichecker.com/, https://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/, https://plagiarismdetector.net/, https://www.prepostseo.com/plagiarism-checker ,etc. These software’s are just for the purpose of suggestion and not to be treated as recommendations)
*Note: The article must be original, unpublished and bonafide work of the participant. Incomplete or plagiarised submissions shall be summarily rejected. The Similarity Index limit is 15% (excluding footnotes).
*Note No part of the article should contain any form of identification of the participant such as the name of the author, University/College name, etc. on the article. Any form of identification will lead to disqualification.
· The 1st Winner will get a cash prize of Rs. 1000 + Certificate of Merit (E-Certificate).
· The 2nd Winner will get a cash prize of Rs. 750+ Certificate of Merit (E-Certificate).
· The 3rd Winner will get a cash prize of Rs. 500+ Certificate of Merit (E-Certificate).
· The Top 10 winners will get a Certificate of Commendation
· All the participants of the article writing competition will be given the Certificate of Participation (E-Certificate).
Dr. (Prof.) Rajinder Kaur, Chairperson, SFQ, UILS, PU – cum- Director, University Institute of Legal Studies, Panjab University, Chandigarh
Dr. Pushpinder Kaur, Faculty Co-ordinator, SFQ, UILS, PU – cum – Associate Professor (Law), University Institute of Legal Studies, Panjab University, Chandigarh
Kindly mail your queries at – email@example.com
In case of any query, you can also contact our student convenors via:
Vaibhav Goyal (President): 9781520216
Rabia Mittal (Secretary): 9780212040
Pranjali Aggarwal (Treasurer): 7858820006
For registration and certificate, Kindly contact:
Gunjan Garg (Event Coordinator): 7986718234
Salouni Chaudhary (Co- Coordinator): 9306260223
Yashna Walia (Co- Coordinator): 9878210844
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLE